Thursday, February 24, 2011

I'm going to miss you Ohio State!

With graduation approaching at what seems like lightening speeds, I have been really sentimental about everything at Ohio State. About four years ago, I was graduating from high school, a date that took FOREVER to finally come. I find it ironic that when I do not want things to be over, they speed up. That is exactly what has happened here. The past four years have FLOWN BY. When I entered Ohio State my Sophomore year, I knew it was going to be a huge challenge for me. The size was intimidating, and I knew academically it was going to be an uphill battle. However, now I could easily stick around Ohio State for another bachelor's degree and be perfectly happy. ( I say this now, but I'm sure once I was actually studying I might have another opinion. [: )

I know I am content with my choice to attend graduate school, and I am ready for that part of my life. For now, I want to give some insight into the things about Ohio State I will miss the most.


THE SIZE! Ohio State constantly rivals UArizona for the largest university in America. I love being exposed to people from literally everywhere! "People Watching"  has become one of my favorite things to do when I'm on campus all day for class. I get inspired by what everyone is wearing  and what products they are using. I hear some of the craziest conversations. Although seldom in my major, when I have HUGE classes, I like the fact that the professor does not know I'm there :) It takes a lot of guilt out of taking a day off haha! I also have so many opportunities for advancement at Ohio State because there are so many educated people here that want to spread their knowledge. If I ever need to know ANYTHING, there is someone here that has a pretty darn good answer.


The buildings! They are beautiful and each one is unique. This is University Hall where I had the Rural Sociology class that eventually helped me choose SOC as my major.


This is Orton Hall. I had a science GEC in this building at night winter quarter 2010. My professor was a  genius man who discovered evidence on what killed the dinosaurs. The things I come across...


THE OVAL! Beautiful. Enough Said! Also serves as a beach!


McPherson Hall! I had one of my hardest SOC classes in this building Winter 2010. My professor was amazing. She was so passionate about education and really stressed the importance of improving education with what you are given. I hope that I can continue her passion, and when I achieve my long-term goal of becoming a professor, someone gets inspired by me :) I also have a law class with an amazing professor this quarter there. They are both the types of professors that you just want to talk to forever because they are so interesting and wise! Must be the building :)


THE RPAC! So many cardio machines, so little time. The set up of the gym includes many levels, huge windows, and so many things to do that you never want to leave! Not to mention they have food there too :) The HUMMUS is amazing!


Mirror Lake Night. Tradition is to jump in during the week before the OSU vs Michigan game! Arguably the most obnoxious night of the year at OSU. :) That is the beauty of it though, and I will absolutely miss the festivities of that night. Epic.


Crimson Cup Mochas. I have yet to drink real "coffee", but OSU is where I began my obsession with Mochas. I only know of one Crimson Cup outside of campus, and I don't see myself driving through Clintonville just to get it. It will be dearly missed.


THOMPSON LIBRARY! Best place to get stuff done! Gorgeous architecture! The stacks remind me of pictures of the inside of The Vatican!

PARKING! HAHA JUST KIDDING! I GUESS I NEED A LITTLE STRESS TO KEEP ME ON MY TOES EVERY DAY RIGHT!? $535 for a parking pass is normal isn't it? Guess paying for parking will always seem cheap the rest of my life. :)

Spring Quarter! I'm sure I won't be the only one missing this when OSU changes to semesters :( . Everyone sits outside in the sun all day, avoiding class. Dresscode: sundresses, sandals, minimal makeup, and a tumbler. (Take your easiest classes this quarter :) ) 


Being challenged! Ohio State has helped (forced?) me to work hard and let my laziness go. Being here has shown me that anyone can do anything they put their mind to. (REALLY!) When I first entered college, I was pretty sure that flunking out was in my future. I had no confidence in my academic abilities. Now, I am accepted to graduate school and striving for even more school after that. Ohio State works you out.



FOOTBALL GAMES! Although I'm sure I will attend many more games throughout my life, being a student at OSU during football season is an entirely different experience.


Me at a game during the 2009 season :)

To end, I want to say that there probably isn't one thing that I won't miss about OSU. College has been such a journey for me and I am thankful for the route that has brought me here. Thanks to my parents for  their support & always pushing me and making sure that I had the things I needed to succeed. Thank you to all of my amazing friends that I have kept from long ago, and to the ones that I have met in these past four years. I love you all. Go Bucks :)

Academically Yours,
-Kellie
Class of 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment